Massage performed by a Registered Massage Therapist (RMT) is covered by most extended health insurance plans, please check your coverage.
A Registered Massage Therapist is an individual who has:
- Completed competency-based education at educational institutions recognized by the Government of Ontario;
- Studied anatomy, physiology, pathology, physical assessment, neurology, treatments, ethics and other subjects;
- Completed a minimum of 150 clinical hours;
- Successfully completed examinations from and have been "registered" by the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (the College) in accordance with the Regulated Health Professions Act and the Massage Therapy Act;
- Maintained their registration by participating in continuing education and a Quality Assurance Program that assists them in the maintenance of high professional standards and quality care of their clients.
The profession of massage therapy is regulated in the Province of Ontario under the Regulated Health Professions Act and the associated legislation, the Massage Therapy Act.